Saturday, November 29, 2008

Let it snow!

This morning couldn't have gotten much better. I took Pete and Bailey (Derick's dog) out to Shawnee Mission Park to the off-leash area for a gorgeous trail run in the snow. It was so serene and spiritual. I was totally able to lose myself in the moment.

At one point, I just stopped. Looked around. Surrounded by fallen leaves, branches, rocks smothered in mud. To my right I could see the lake, as still as I've ever seen it. To my left, the two dogs bounding over fallen tree limbs, panting and playing with huge smiles on their faces. When I looked up all I could see was the snow falling only to land on my eyelashes and melt as quickly as they hit. I felt like I was in a movie. And once I started to run again, I felt like I was in a magazine shoe ad, where all you run with is your thoughts and your dog. It was surreal.

Trail running just might be my new favorite thing. And from the look on Pete's face, its his too. And when he shook off all the snow and dirt before getting in the truck, the slobber wrapped around his nose three times to prove he really had a great time.

1 comment:

hwkncat said...

isn't it awesome? Now you know why I keep asking you to go trail running! :-)