Sunday, January 18, 2009

Great day to run

So after our FRIGID days here in the not so distant past, I really enjoyed the gorgeous weather here in KC today. Even though I wanted to be a bum and lay on the couch - I forced myself to lace up and head out to Shawnee Mission Park for my 7 mile training run.

I took both Pete and Gage, and illegally let them run off leash while Derick and I ran the paved trails to the east of the lake. We took the trail north past Shawnee Mission Parkway. I turned back at Mile 3.5 and he continued on.

Running back with just Pete, I noticed how calm and beautiful the park is. I found myself hoping that my house would be just around the corner of the trail, hidden behind the trees. Maybe I should think about a more scenic location to call home one of these days...

All in all, the run felt great. I did struggle a bit to breathe on those hills. They are STEEP! But otherwise, my legs still felt great. They had a few more mile in them. I'm sure Pete would have loved that. I'm still pretty shocked at how well both the dogs did off-leash out there. They stayed close and behaved themselves. If you know my dog, you know that's an impressive feat. And Bomper of course found a couple squirrels to chase up trees, but he didn't venture off either. He was a surprisingly good listener.
Saturday moning I headed down to Velvet Creme for a little indoor spin with fellow triathletes. Riding inside is just SO different than actually being out there. Luckily Preston was his full self, so I was entertained the whole time. I also got my new Garmin Cadence Counter all set up, purchased through KC Triathletes' World Multisport. New gadgets make everything much more exciting!
My training plan this week has more 2 a days scheduled, but nothing too bad. Should be able to K.O. everything without too much difficulty! IMOO here I come!

No comments: