Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Like a sinking ship




That's how I felt in the pool this morning.


It was such a let down from an AWESOME swim this weekend. Saturday afternoon after my 8 mile run, I swam 2500m with Chelsea and it felt great. We did 50m sprints at the end and got down to a rediculously fast 42 second 50. It was awesome. I was so winded and exhausted, but I felt so aerodynamic, svelte, like a bullet in water. I've never been that proud of myself in the pool before. That feeling even carried over for a few days.


Until this morning. Masters swim. Ugh. I didn't even want to get out of bed. But I knew a swim would make me less sore from my butt-kicking yesterday at Fit Pit. That's the only thing that got me there. Once I was up and at 'em, I felt better. Until I started to actually swim.


I felt heavy and sluggish. Ugh. Not fun. But I figured once I warmed up, things would improve. Not so much. I know that everyone else, even the slowest of the rest in the class are leaps and bounds ahead of me. They've all been swimming a lot longer, which entitles them to be that much better than me. But holy cow, I am one slow swimmer. Normally, I'm cool with being the tortoise to everyone else's hare. Today though, it sucked.


A 50 seemed like a 1000. My heart rate was way up and so my breathing sucked. (Luckily, I do think the Flovent is helping me deal with the whole asthma issue, so that's good.) I swam 150 in the time it took the others to do 300 or 400. Talk about blow to the ego from the weekend. Sheesh.


Hopefully I'll feel better tonight on the bike.

No comments: