Sunday, August 30, 2009

Speaking for Safehome

In June, I raced at Ironman Kansas 70.3. I set a PR by 1:30, even in the horrific Kansas heat. I had little time to recover when I had to get dressed up for a benefit for Safehome - Johnson County's domestic violence agency - where I was the featured survivor speaker. I've never been nervous in public speaking situations, but when there is a crowd of 500 in front of you and you've been in the sun racing all day, it's a little different.

I hope you'll take a few minutes to hear my story and get a little better picture of why completing Ironman Wisconsin will mean so much to me. I've come so far in the past three years. I was with Shithead (he deserves no other name than that) when my brother raced at Ironman Wisconsin in 2006 in 50 degrees and a day full of rain. I was too wrapped up in my life with Shithead that I didn't go to support him and watch him race. Something I definitely regret.

Once you hear what I went through, I hope you'll understand why Girls on the Run is such an important organization to me. GOTR teaches girls self-esteem through running - something that definitely has brought me back to life. It has made me the person I am today - one who will complete Ironman Wisconsin in 13 days!!





PS - That means there are only 12 days to donate to help me reach my goal of raising $10,000 for Girls on the Run. Please donate here!!

No comments: