Monday, May 11, 2009

8 Mile Run Outside!!

Yep, you read that right, I ran/walked my 8 mile workout outside this weekend. As in, on actual pavement. And the best part... No pain!

Granted, I was supposed to run for 80 minutes in the pool (thank you, Coach Tim, for having patience with my experimentation), but I was in Iowa for Mother's Day and the Y wanted to charge me $10 for a day pass. Not only was that ridiculous, but it was also a beautiful day that I wanted to spend outside with my mom. So, I went home, told my mom to put on her walking shoes, and the two of us went for a workout together.

I walked a half mile with Mom, ran a mile out and back to her, walked with her for another half mile, etc. The best part of it was getting to spend time with Mom :) The second-best part was that my average pace for the 8 miles was 11:20 - 40 seconds faster than the average pace of my 3.5 mile run this past Wednesday!



An added bonus was my Sunday workout: 30 miles on brutal roads with really strong wind, and a 1 mile run after with a 9:27 minute/mile pace. That's not the world's fastest pace or anything but I was really excited to be able to run - again, with no pain - after taking so much time off! And now, because I've promised what feels like 100 people I'll take care of myself, it's back to the pool for my long run this week... IMOO 2009, here I come!


Side Note: Congrats to my Mom for walking her longest distance ever - 6 miles! And congrats to Linda, Trish's mom, for finishing the Mother's Day 5K. It was a great weekend for the IronMom's!


No comments: