Monday, May 4, 2009

Long distance training weekend brings progress!

Last week's training was spotty at best. Ah, who am I kidding?! I did Jack because I felt sick pretty much all week. I'm still coughing. And coughing. And coughing. I got in Tuesday's ride with Sheryl which was great, but otherwise I laid low trying to get this to pass.

Saturday morning brought a 30 minute ride and 12 mile run. Pete and I enjoyed the first 8 miles together, and then Bailey and I suffered through the last four. I did run by the Farmer's Market in Old OP with both dogs. Pete enjoyed it. He would've stayed to hang out had I let him. But poor Bubba had a hard time. Not only did he embarass the heck out of me by making the street his potty, but then he "almost ate Riley's neice" when he got freaked out by the band. Poor guy. Luckily he recovered nicely and didn't freak when we ran by the horse drawn carriage sculpture a half mile later. That's progress.

The second half of the run was much harder, but I was trying to push myself a bit. My knee did pretty well, considering. There were a few moments when I really noticed it, but I was able to push through.

By the time I was done, I was running late for the KC Multisport Swap and Shop. I had to help get everything set up at Leahy Chiropractic before everyone arrived at 3:00. Dr. Meagan offered quite the spread, and we had several new club members come which was awesome. But where were all you longtime triathletes with all the good gear to get rid of?? It was the first time the club tried such an event, so hopefully it will grow. After a quick nap, I met a bunch of friends at Paddy's for the end of the Royals game and karaoke to celebrate Josh's birthday. Let me tell ya, I haven't been out in a while and I had a blast. I'm a cheap date though, thats for sure!

Sunday I got to sleep in, which was great because I stayed out WAY too late on Saturday (especially for having been sick) and then meet a bunch of Midwest Triathlon Coaching athletes for a group ride. I was really frustrated with myself for most of the ride. I got dropped early and rode a lot of the miles solo. But I kept reminding myself who else was on that ride... my brother, Barry, Bryan Evans, Jim, and a TON of really fast and successful triathletes, so I couldn't feel too bad. Hell, I averaged over 15mph for 50 miles which I haven't done all season yet! Plus, it was great to ride with Coach Ken for a while and get some great tips. Why I never paid attention to my cadence is beyond me, but it really does help!! I kept it between 85 and 85 as much as possible (except on the hills of course) and that made a big difference in my run.

I did push myself really hard Sunday, so by the time I was done, I was EX.HAUS.TED. I ate some sushi and fresh berries with Jim and Melissa at Dean and Deluca (aka Dean and Delicious, I love that place!) and then crashed. Early to bed was the best thing for me! Although I was up half the night coughing, but I feel better today. Not every muscle on my body is sore and screaming at me, so that's progress.

Here's to feeling better this week, regaining health both in my lungs and my legs!

2 comments:

jessica said...

Sounds like a productive weekend!

Any tips for relatively "safe" bike routes, especially Prairie Village area? I'm super intimidated to get back to road riding (having kids has made me such a ninny) but I need to just get out there already!

Baby N's Mom said...

I should have gone to the swap & shop, but I didn't have anything to get rid of.