Thursday, September 10, 2009

Smile!

If you want a true barometer of your race, let your smile be your guide. - Andy Potts, professional triathlete

Four days out from the biggest race of my life and I'm changing my race strategy. Sort of. It's always been about 1) getting healthy, and 2) crossing the finish line. Lately, though, there has been a lot of dialogue surrounding finish times, expectations, etc. It's a lot of fun to talk about and predict who is going to do what, what event will be my best, and overall finish line hopes and expectations. Truthfully, I've gotten caught up in it. Hard for me not to when that suits my personality to a T!

However, several seasoned Ironman triathletes - the people you listen to because they've been there, done that on several occasions - have said time and time again that your first Ironman is about the experience. Those people, and Andy Potts, are the people whose advice I am going to heed going into these last final days and especially on race day.

I will let my smile, not my Garmin, be my guide... and everyone who sees me on race day is absolutely invited to hold me to that :)

Now, time for my final workout before departing for Madison bright and early on Friday!

No comments: