Monday, August 17, 2009

Last LONG weekend!

Well, I made it through my last LONG weekend.

Friday: Long Open Water Swim at Lake Quivira. What great water and great place to swim. I figure it was just shy of a mile that we swam. Felt great. Except for the banging my knee and shin on the rocks. Twice. Woops. Oh, and I coulda sworn I took a stroke into a fish or a snake. I hope it was just a leaf. It had to have just been a leaf right!?

Saturday: My last century and short run. Ugh. This started off horrible. My alarm didn't go off so I didn't get up when I wanted to. My iPod broke. I had a special visitor that I was hoping wouldn't visit this week. Had to pee about 4 times before I got on the bike, 45 minutes later than I wanted to. I rode down Metcalf to Louisburg, into the wind on loose gravel. I thought I was going to wreck a couple times. Then that worst nightmare came closer to being true than it ever has before. I was riding west in Louisburg, near the Casey's on K68 when a red hatchback driving east either didn't see me or thought she could beat me to turn left into a coffeeshop. Keep in mind its 7am in tiny Louisburg, there was little traffic and I swore she saw me. We both slam on our brakes. Hard for me to do going downhill. EEEK!!!!!!! My heart rate rose substantially and I got royally pissed. She continued to the coffeeshop and I tried to keep riding. I made it about 20 feet before my body really reacted and I started shaking and crying. I sat on the curb at Casey's and almost quit. This day was not going as I had planned. But I got up and shook out my nerves and kept riding towards Hillsdale, Gardner and back to my landing pad. I met a friend to ride the final 40 together. Unfortunately, she's been struggling with her knee and on Saturday, the knee was winning. So was the wind. Strong from the south and west, it was a rough ride all day. But I kept pushing a big gear and on the flats of 179th could hold 18-19 mph fairly consistently. I was pleased. We turned around a bit too short, so I had to do another loop after making it back to the house. Turned out a 95.5 mile ride and then quickly changed shoes for a short 1 mile/10 minute run. All I could think was "HOW AM I GOING TO DO 25.2 MORE OF THESE!?!?!?" Good thing walking is allowed! Next time, I'll eat a little more on the ride so I have the energy needed for the run.

Saturday evening: Very successful fundraising event. More on that later!

Sunday: Slept in. Wow. This felt fabulous!!!! I can't remember the last time I didn't have to set an alarm or could lay on the couch watching reruns. I love it. Went to lunch with a great girlfriend and got new shoes at
Gribbles, along with GU and an adorble new running top that I gladly sported when I went out for my last 20-miler of this journey. Hit the road about 5 pm. Ran 4 solo and then met another great training buddy to run 6 together. She is always so encouraging and keeps talking to keep me moving. Ran 3 solo to Coach's house to fuel up on salt, gu, gu brew and motivation. He gave me a route that he thought was about the distance I needed to finish up my 20. Well, when I hit 17 miles, I knew I was plenty more than 3 miles from home, so I turned back. I was feeling great. A little bored and lonely, soaked to the bone from the intermittant downpours, but mentally was feeling really strong. I even practiced my IMOO finish line moves in the dark on Lee Blvd. Then I used a little walk break to make it up a baby hill, and when I was ready to start running again, I couldn't. I knew my IT Band was angry at me for all the hell I've put it through over the past days, weeks, months, but I really thought we had come to an understanding. I was flustered, tried to stretch and walk in hopes I could make it home, but had no luck. Then I realized where I was and how close I was to my hero's house! After Aleve, water, puppy kisses and chocolate cake, Sheryl drove me home. That hot shower felt amazing, as did dry clothes. Ah, and leftover pizza from a friend. MMM. Then it took me about 2.5 seconds to pass out. Man, I was beat.

And I can't wait to see
the man who will help me win the war with my leg. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I'm 4 weeks out from the race. I know I can do the distance, now I just need to keep healthy enough so I can do it with a smile on my face and a dance down the finish line.

2 comments:

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

It's fun to read about your training. Hang tough lady! What a life changing experience...talk about seeing what you are made of. Wow. Since I am a short course goddess, I will just have to live vicariously through your IM experience :)