Tuesday, August 11, 2009

UltraHOT Kansas 50

Well, it was a hot one.

That pretty much sums up the entire race experience for the first Ultramax Kansas 50 at Hillsadale Lake on Sunday.

The high on Sunday at the lake was 98 degrees. And I'm not talking about the band. By the time I finished, the heat index was 103.
All things considered, it was a great race. Mark and crew put on a stellar event. Unfortunately, to do so, he had to start everything later than we all wanted. My heat got in the water to start at about 9 am. Yikes.
I started up close to the front for the first time, confidence was high I guess. I did a pretty good job of sighting and swimming straight. At least this time I didn't veer totally off course to my left like I usually do. A few mouth-fulls of water later, I was still feeling strong, but hating the wind. I passed a few boys and even made it out of the water before Chelsea. This is a monumental victory for me. I never beat Chelsea at anything!
Took my time in T1, since my heart rate was so rediculously high. Tried to spin easy on my way out of the park to get my HR down, but wasn't having much luck. When the first hour on the bike ticked by, I had gone 17 miles. Man, I think to myself, I'm the fastest girl in the world. But then I turn the corner and hit the wind. Or maybe I should call it a wall. Either way, I was going really slow. I keep telling myself to stay hydrated. Drink more than I think I should. I went thru 3.5 bottles just on the bike. It woulda been 4 but I spilled a bunch coming out of T1. Woops. My Garmin kept messing up too. It turned off a couple times on the bike and during the run it somehow switched to "multisport" which is a setting I don't even know how to get to. So I have no idea my average on the bike. I'm guessing like 16.2-16.5, but I'm not sure. Of course the official timing mats didn't pick it up either.
I made the best decision of my life in T2. Grabbed a bottle to take with me on the run, and filled it with ice at every aid station. I have no idea how much I drank, but I know it was a TON. And the other ton went over my head about every 10 feet. Whatever it takes to keep moving right!? I know I could have run faster, but I kept reminding myself that this wasn't my A race and IMOO is much more important, so I need to keep staying healthy as my #1 priority. So I took my time and chatted with fellow racers along the course. I'm still not sure how I feel about the packed gravel trail we ran on, but I guess at this point it doesn't really matter. Looking back, I wish I would have pushed it a bit more at the end, and passed the one girl in sight. Turns out she was in my AG too. Ah, sigh.
The finish line was a welcome sight for sure. And the shade under the food tents was wonderful. And the showers in the park bathrooms were fabulous! And I didn't have to drive to Red Robin for my delicious burger all grimy and salty. Love it.
This was definitely one for the books. And it filled up my account with the Pain Bank. A good character builder. And it proved that I am tougher than all those suckers who quit when it got too hard.



5:29:25 total race time.




Major props go out to:
My brother Tim, 2nd in his Age Group!
Chelsea, 3rd in our Age Group!
Amy, 2nd overall Octomax woman!
Alex, first triathlon!

And everyone else who suffered through, did not quit and can wear the title "finisher" proudly!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Nice job and way to keep perspective! If this is NOT your A race, no sense in dying on the vine out there...you've got IM!

That does sound a bit miserable, though, hoooot.